2013년 1월 13일 일요일

Differences between Seoul and Calgary in public library


I like studying in the public library. When I was a highschool student in Korea, there were not sufficient public libraries so I always had to line up in front of the library to enter.

Nowadays, there are many public libraries in Seoul, Korea. I used to go to the public library to study English to prepare IELTS examination.

Now, I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada as a permanent resident since November last year. However, my English skill is very low, so I have to learn English yet. As usual as I was in Korea, I go to the public library everyday to study English in here.

There are a lot of differences between Seoul’s public library and Calgary’s.

In brief, the public libraries in Calgary seem like a facility for families. Whenever I go to the library, I always can see variety kind of people from babies to seniors. Also there are wide range of facilities and books for teen and children such as small desks, chairs and even computers. It seems that the library is for all family members. Therefore many parents come to the library with their children. The library is not only for adults but also for children as their playground. So it is common to hear noise from children like crying, laughing or shouting at the library.

The other hand, the public library in Korea is commonly treated a facility to study for students. I hardly see any other kinds of people except students at the public library in Korea. There are only a few seniors in the news papers and magazines room.
Preparing for this situation, the public library in the Korea lays many desks and chairs in a large room for only studying. Many students use the room for their study. The room is filled with almost students, and it is usually very quiet and prohibited making noise. The atmosphere of the room is heavy and serious. So it is not a good place for children and families.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기